Knowing how to block websites on Chrome or any browser can come in really handy sometimes. If you are a sole user of the computer than this does not really seem like much of a issue, but if you have numerous users at home and do not want them to access certain websites, you are better of blocking those websites completely.
Before getting into the tutorial, please remember that this is done on the browser level and not on the network level. I mean this is not a IP address filtering tutorial, rather this has to be done on all the PC that you would want to block the website on.
Some facts before getting on how to block websites:
- This can help in your own productivity, by blocking websites that you waste your time on.
- Restricting your siblings from accessing any illegal or misleading websites.
- Keeping the unwanted visits to unwanted websites to bare minimum by blocking certain block words that the URL might contain.
Since most of use Google Chrome to browse the internet these days, first lets see how to block websites on Chrome :
- Using Block Site Plugin (Installation And How To Use It)
- Using Block IT Plugin (Installation And Use)
- Blocking Websites From Windows Itself ( Works For All The Browsers On The PC)
It’s basically using an extension to block websites. We make use of a extension because its a lot easier and gives us much more flexibility.
- Block Site ( Download It From Chrome App Store).
To download and install Block Site go to the extensions store from here.
Now after that you’ve downloaded and installed the extension, next step will be to configure the extension according to your needs and requirements.
You should see a icon similar to thison your top right corner of the screen. Click on it and go to options.
You will now be redirected to the Block site’s configurations page. This is where all the magic happens.
Pro Tip : Before you start configuring the extension, we recommend you to enable the extension in the incognito mode as well. What this allows is that it allows you to block websites inside the incognito mode as well. If you are not aware of the incognito mode, this is a stealth mode inside google chrome that allows you to do all sorts of different things and remain anonymous.
To enable that, go to option under google chrome > Extensions > And under Block site, tick the check box that reads, “Allow in incognito”. And you are all set.
Now getting back to the configuration,
On the homepage of the extension, you will see different options.
First option is the main options page where you enter the website that you want to block and can redirect them to another website.
Enter the complete website or the main domain that you would like to block. Under that,nter the website that you would like the user to be redirected because if you do not redirect the user to any website, this will provide the user with the information that the website has been blocked using the plugin.
The only downside of this free plugin is that, unless you have a premium version, the plugin can be either deactivate or delete without any issue.
You can also create a list as a CSV file and import that into Blocksite. We also recommend if you donot have a CSV file, you should export the current list for future use.
On your left side of the dashboard is an option “Blocked Words”. This option allows you to block all the URLs that the user wants to visit, if it contains the words that you enter under this section.
To use this feature, You can either turn the “Custom list” on and enter the words under that or even just turn the “Adult related” option to block any URL that might contain anything related to pornography or sexual.
Ok, so this one is not for beginners. But this does not require any extensions or plugins and is not browser dependent. On the other hand, you do not really have lots of options and features that you get with block site.
Note: This method requires you to edit windows files, so i hope you know what you are doing.
In a nutshell, we will be defining default IP address to the websites that are not real IP addresses, thus the website will not be loaded.
- Navigate to your windows installation folder. In most cases it usually is C:
- Open C:/windows/System32/drivers/etc.
- When you get into the folder, you will see a “etc” file.
- Right click on the file and go to properties.
- Open “security” tab, under “Groups and usernames” select your username and click edit.
- Again under “Groups and usernames” select your username and you should see an options “Permissions for Users”. Tick all the checkboxes and hit apply.
- Now open the etc file with notepad or any text editor.
- You should now see a screen similar to shown below.
- At the end you should be able to see that i have added facebook.com and google.com and there are different IP addresses before them. That’s what you have to do. Enter a random address in front the web address and enter the Web address.
- Now save the file after that’s done. Now you are all good to go.
Restart the browser and see for yourself, if that works.
There are some of the ways on how to block websites on chrome and any other browsers.
Feedback are much appreciated.